Thursday, July 1, 2010

Much Ado About Bears...

According to the belief system of many American Indian cultures, everyone has a grand total of nine totem animals. These animals for us are unchanging; constant. They assist us throughout the span of our lives. The energy of each of our totem animals represents that medicine which we most strongly possess and occasionally or frequently need to call on in order to guide us along the Good Red Road, or our time here on the physical plane. The bear is one of my nine totem guides, and one of my husband's as well.

Last night we were thrilled by a personal visit- in no way a rare occurrence here in the mountains of New Mexico- and watched like enthusiastic children as he explored a num-licious dumpster within a stone's throw of our front yard. Ratonians here love their bears and the street was soon lined with neighbors grinning at the sight of this little guy's evening snack hunt. My husband loves this shot because it shows Little Mr. Bear's leathery paws.

He made a mess, but nobody seemed to mind. Once he sauntered off to greener dumpsters, everyone just kind of ambled over and returned his messy garbage back to the metal tank where it belonged. Cleaning up after the ursine residents is an everyday event here.

The medicine, or power, of the bear represents introspection. If Bear visits you, it's your call to enter the silence where your inner knowing resides. Like a bear's tendency to hibernate, it asks that we step away from the chaos and stimulation of everyday life- just for a time- until the answers to our questions are received in the silence. It's an invitation to meditate. To stop trying so hard.

It's amazing- all of the answers inside of us- when we just shut up and listen for once; something I've never been particularly good at. As I watched him last night, naturally quiet over his sweet magnificence, I thought of this very aspect and how much I needed his guidance right now.

The truth is, it was last winter when the Bear totem last visited me. Retreating to the silence and going within, I was told that my life was going to be changing. The next day, I adopted a tiny puppy, left to starve in a Raton alleyway. I named him Miakoda, which means the power of the moon, but call him Koda for short, which means spirit ally. Koda turned out to be much more than an ordinary dog to us, which is a simple qualifier neither good nor bad. My husband and I, with all of our hearts, love ordinary dogs. But from the moment he entered our lives we felt there was something odd about him, something ancient, still, and wise. He came here to teach us something.

In addition to all of that, we also discovered that Koda has the most severe case of juvenile onset Canine Hip Dysplasia we've ever seen, which is no small detail being that my husband and I met in a surgical veterinary hospital where we both worked in orthopedics. For seven years I did nothing but look at the xrays of dysplastic dogs. Now I was faced with a huge financial responsibility, or the only alternative was to put this puppy- this spirit messenger- to sleep. Koda taught me to believe in myself. Koda taught me that it was time to come out of my own personal hibernation. Koda taught me that it was time to share my gifts and go back to work. Koda taught me to trust in the Good Red Road.

And the bear last night- finally and completely- taught me that this is the end of the line for Stark Raving Zen, which I love dearly. But it's time. I'm going to leave it accessible, rather than delete the entire thing, for reasons I will explain in a final entry. But for me it's time to grow. To evolve. To follow my heart. That means a new blog. The name: Koda's Totems. It will be a celebration of nature, animal totems, American Indian wisdom, Koda's medical progress (he's having his surgery soon), and I'll also be offering some card reading services through my new blog. It will be my photography without the past SRZ energy of politics or anger or anti-anything. It will be a way to honor everything in the natural world. No more Stark Raving... I hope you won't mind.

11 comments:

Libby Ingram said...

I'll go where you go.

Thanks for letting us tag along.

Teresa Evangeline said...

Your new direction is a gift to all of us. I look forward to reading it, learning from it and seeing where this journey takes you. I'm happy for you and for all of us who know how much you have to offer. This is perfect.

young grasshopper said...

Hey! You know how I feel about change! ;) But, seriously,
I will look forward to your new blog. I love your words (and I love you even more).
Thank you for leaving Stark Raving Zen accessible... I appreciate some of the entries, and find myself referring others to them, still.
xoxo, Shari

Farmer Dan said...

So is there any way to determine your totems? Maybe that would be a good future topic to blog about. I think I have plant totems though - the main one is the pumpkin...

Stark Raving Zen said...

Libby, thank you. I know you're always pulling for Koda. He thanks you and so do I. :)

and thank you too, Teresa. You are a cherished gift to ME.

YG, I know, I know, about the change, but this one is inevitable. Gotta follow the animals. Love you to death.

and Dan, everyone has animal totems but we can allow you the pumpkin (LOL)! One of the card services I'll be offering is that I can find your 7 animal totems for you. Two of them you need to choose yourself, although it's more accurate to say that they choose you. But I'll give you more details about that shortly, with the launch of my new blog. :)

Falen said...

ooh i'm really curious about this new blog process. Will it be completely new? Or is there a way to change the name of your link?

Also, over the last few years it became quite apparent to me that if i could choose an animal to be, it would be a bear.
so awesome.

turquoisemoon said...

The new blog will be interesting and I'm excited to see and follow. This is exciting to watch and be part of a change...

Stark Raving Zen said...

Falen, I really feel the need to just start anew. The question is, do I start over with WordPress, or stick with Blogger... I like that WP has pages.

And Lynn, thank you for being here. I'm always just comforted by your presence. :)

Falen said...

ooh just a heads up that Blogger now has pages as well! depending on your blog layout you can add them to the top or the sidebar

geli said...

thanks for your sharing! great helpful!!!Louboutin Shoes Christian Louboutin ShoesChristian Louboutin Pumps Wedding Dress ShopsWedding Dress ShopsChristian Louboutin Boots Christian Louboutin PumpsChristian Louboutin Heels Christian Louboutin SandalPigalle Christian Louboutin fur bootschristian louboutin fur bootslouboutin pumpslouboutin fur bootscoyote fur bootschristian louboutin heelssilver strappy sandalschristian louboutin toundraloubitan studded bow peepvintage wedding dresses wedding dressescheap mobile phoneWedding Dresses 2011Wedding Dress ShopsOff the Shoulder Wedding Dressesbridal jacketswedding jacketsbridal jacketshalter neck wedding dressesoff the shoulder wedding dressesvintage wedding dresseswedding dresses with sleeveswedding jackets for the brideSorry for the bother, God bless you.

Anonymous said...



Copyright Tracy RoseI found it to be very informative. Water is important - drink at least eight glasses every day. This helps the fiber found in your food swell and to perform its functions. It metabolizes the nutritional functions found in your foods to work, while keeping your skin, hair and nails healthy. It is also essential to avoid dehydration. Organic meat, eggs and dairy products tend to be lower in growth hormones, which may disrupt your hormone balance. [url=http://greencoffeesiteme.net/]green coffee bean extract reviews[/url] Easy, effective, diets are not that difficult to achieve. Keep your goals realistic and attainable. Sometimes the simple approach is the best approach. When it comes to sports nutrition, the concept of "a good nutritional plan" can mean a million different things. Look at the sport of bodybuilding. Diets for bodybuilding off-season training, pre-contest, and 'day of show' vary greatly. You'd never give an off-season bodybuilder the strict, measured clean diet you see in the pre-contest, or they'd never grow! When you compare diets for the sport of bodybuilding to those in other sports, the variance increases even more. You can imagine both the bodybuilder and the mixed martial arts fighter ready to train for 3 hours, or fight for 15 minutes, require some of the same essential components in their diet. They both need the same micronutrients, vitamins and minerals. And they both require the same macronutrients - protein, fat, and carbohydrates - for performance. But the levels they require, and the types of food that will deliver optimal performance, vary greatly. Here are a few keys to successful eating for mixed martial arts training purposes. Create your own nutritional regimen based upon your training goals and body's needs. If you prefer free self-help techniques, learning self-hypnosis or learning how to put yourself into a relaxed mental state and visualizing your ideal look is probably the safest and most effective general method of hypnosis for weight loss.